Skip to main content
Topic: Telly Thread (Read 115127 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Telly Thread

Reply #2115
I dont know if you get disney+ but there are some good documentaries from ESPN called 30 for 30.(you probably get them on normal espn) All different sports (US), mostly people I had never heard of, I particularly enjoyed the one on Christian Laetner (sp?) and the one on the Southern Methodist University.

Reply #2116
Enjoyed the start of the new Taskmaster series but missed the f*cking swearing. Looks like they put the wrong out.

Reply #2117
They've admitted as much on the tw@tter. I'm sure there'll be plenty more, particularly from Morgana Robinson.
We're sh!t and we know we are.

Reply #2118
Yeah, I thought it was a much brighter opening episode than the last series. I hope she doesn't make it a series full of Carry On innuendo though. Ooh, six inches, ooh matron.

Reply #2119
She is quite an odd woman - I do find her entertaining though, and she swears well (which was frustrating last night).

Reply #2120
Russell T Davies returning as Doctor Who showrunner is a bit like if Michail Antonio returned as a forward for Forest, except if we had been really good when Michail Antonio played for us.

Reply #2121
Are you sure it wont be like Grant Holt coming back, and wanting to wrestle the whole first team squad?
I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.

Reply #2122
She is quite an odd woman - I do find her entertaining though, and she swears well (which was frustrating last night).

At least they tweeted a swear reel. I was expecting something far ruder than 'a bee's dick'.
We're sh!t and we know we are.

Reply #2123
Sex education.  Very late to the party but started to watch season one and find it very funny.  Derry girls was a pile of unfunny sh!t.

Nine perfect strangers with Nicole Kidman is very odd and has potential.  White Lotus which was slightly similar ended up being cringe worthy funny.  This is not a comedy but has some comedic moments.  Could be good or awful.  Enough to keep me watching even though Nicole Kidman is starting to look very odd.

Chicago: Looking for enlightenment.
If running is bad for your knees try hanging out with Russ and Tricky for a night.

Reply #2124
But that's my point. The people telling the story from the perspective of the players and fans liked him, because they only saw that side of him. The FBI agents told another side of him. It isn't the documentary makers' job to tell you what they think about him or what they think you should think about him, it's to provide a format for the people who were there to tell you what they thought.

It's not supposed to be a considered factual retelling of a story, it's supposed to give you the story painted by the people who lived it. Which it does magnificently.

Good recommendation. I've watched this one and the basketball episode, which I preferred. The hockey story was indeed something but it mostly left me cold. AJ came across as an Eminem wannabe whose achievements, if you can call them that, were in large part down to the enormous material advantages his father afforded him rather than any sense of personal success. And Tommy Pomposello was an awful caricature of a plastic gangster seduced by the fringes of mob life.

I will definitely persevere with the others, however. 

Reply #2125
Good recommendation. I've watched this one and the basketball episode, which I preferred. The hockey story was indeed something but it mostly left me cold. AJ came across as an Eminem wannabe whose achievements, if you can call them that, were in large part down to the enormous material advantages his father afforded him rather than any sense of personal success. And Tommy Pomposello was an awful caricature of a plastic gangster seduced by the fringes of mob life.

I will definitely persevere with the others, however. 

Agreed on T-Bone, didn't like him at all. AJ though turned out to be much more committed and adept than I expected, and modern AJ was very honest about himself, so I ended up quite drawn to him.

The others are all really good. The one I had the least interest in, the Caitlyn Jenner one, was way better than I expected, because it told me a lot about Bruce Jenner and really informed her story beyond the lazy tabloid salaciousness that forms 90% of what I previously knew.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #2126
Agreed on T-Bone, didn't like him at all.

I nearly spat my coffee out at the point where he was discussing Galante’s ultimate incarceration and said something along the lines of: “Jimmy wasn’t a rat. He did his time, and he did it like a man…”

I think for a second he mistook himself for Chris Penn in Reservoir Dogs. What a goon.

Reply #2127
This Trojan Records thing on Sky Arts is dead good.

Reply #2129
There are so many but I think the playful, magical atmosphere of John Holt's 'Ali Baba' is a winner.

'Train Tour to Rainbow City' was one of my old favourites.