Skip to main content
Topic: NFFC news thread (Read 175402 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NFFC news thread

Reply #3555
.....EDIT: just realised he scored 40 goals in 200-odd games from midfield for Forest so it would seem harsh to be too critical in hindsight. He then scored 10 in 40 at Watford. I think the wider point is that he had bags of natural ability and it felt as though he could have achieved more. I guess plenty of players will look back in retirement on less.
 Imagine how good he could have been, if he could have been arsed to run every now and again...
I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.

Reply #3556
Imagine how good he could have been, if he could have been arsed to run every now and again...

True. Off the top of my head, I'm struggling to think of another in recent times as naturally two-footed as him. It's rare even in professional football to find a player genuinely happy to control the ball, pass and shoot equally well with either foot.

We've certainly had plenty at Forest who were equally abject with both, however.

Reply #3557
I suspect McGugan forms part of a well-worn speech for young academy hopefuls arriving at Forest. Simply being good isn't enough - they're all good players. Lewis had as much natural talent as anyone I've seen at Forest in 20 years - Andy Reid aside - and probably could have been plying his trade in the top flight.

I never watched McGugan and thought "he's got more talent than JJ".

Reply #3558
And, as an aside, JJ says that Pennant was always The One - the once in a generation talent. It's a shame we never managed to get our hands on him, although his chaotic formative years would probably have dogged him wherever he went.

Reply #3559
U23s have been destroying Birmingham this evening. 4-0 at half time, some lovely football. Konate looks a lovely player.

Reply #3562
will the new Paraguayan / Tunisian lads be heading off again on the International Break and then facing more quarantine?

Reply #3563
Hopefully. Good for the Avios points.

Reply #3565
"Confirmation that Alan Tate joins Steve Cooper's backroom staff as assistant coach. Steven Reid also remains as assistant coach.

Stephen Rands joins as a first team analyst, whilst Danny Alcock joins as head of goalkeeping."

Reply #3566
I hope we are finally building a club  based structure, rather than a manager based one. Because we know how that ends.
I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.

Reply #3567
This article might be filed under 'why did you bother?' but there are a couple of interesting snippets there.

Reply #3569
Their collective name is Neil Finn Crowded House Back, if only for Mangetout's benefit.