Skip to main content
Topic: Summer 2018 transfers and rumours (Read 9895 times) previous topic - next topic
Todd and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Summer 2018 transfers and rumours

Reply #375
According to the NEP we are in for Alan Hutton from Villa. We are really going for the old has been club title.

Reply #376
Hutton for Lichaj is a sh!t piece of business

Reply #377
Is it? Assuming it's true for a minute, and it's only paper talk at the moment....it may be that Lichaj-Hutton would be a back-up to another full back, or an option to bring off the bench if you change formation at the back during a game. Lichaj is unlikely to be happy filling that role, but Hutton may be more receptive to it....we can get a fee for Lichaj and get Hutton on a free, so we make - say half a million on the switch and wind up with a backup who is indeed older, but is a better all round player with more top level experience.

Not saying that's it, it will happen or even that I want it to happen but if Lichaj goes (and for all we know he may have asked to go), then I don't see Hutton as a terrible move as long as we are not relying on him for the every-day fullback position.
The inside of a Halex Three-Star table-tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to

Reply #378
Alan Hutton is 33 yrs old. He made 10 league appearances for Aston Vanilla last season.

Did we think he was good when he played for us 4 yrs ago? Is he likely to be better, and less prone to injury, now?

Reply #379
I'm not disagreeing with your sentiment but Soccerbase says he played 33 times last season, including both playoff semi finals.

Reply #380
In that case, duff information, for which I can only beat the internet elves until they are lifeless. And then I will deport their relatives.

Reply #381
Carvalho signed, apparently. 13.5M or some such.

Not really getting why we're selling Barrie McKay to Olympiacos, at the same time, on a 3 yr deal.

Reply #382
...exploiting the lax rules about controlling interests in foreign clubs, in order to evade FFP regulations?

Reply #383
Bargain. Let’s hope we don’t break him.

Reply #384
...exploiting the lax rules about controlling interests in foreign clubs, in order to evade FFP regulations?

I'm not sufficiently up on this stuff to appreciate the thing wot you is saying. Can you explain please?

Reply #385
There was a time when you couldn't have a controlling interest in more than one club, because of a potential conflict of interest. It seems to not be the case any more - although it might still apply within national league systems....but given the global nature of the football business.

Imagine you have a big club, in a less prestigious league, that nevertheless has a substantial turnover/budget.  Then imagine that you also have a controlling interest in a second rank team, in a prestigious league, that you would like to see do well. You could, perhaps (or so it seems), buy 'assets' of that second rank team at inflated prices, using the resources of your big club (small league).  You could also buy players with your 'big' club, and loan them to your 'little' club (big league).  This would artificially boost the income of the second rank team and allow that organisation to outperform their natural resources.

Watford were similarly linked with Udinese, at a time when they had ten loan players from that club on the books in one season.  This is unlikely to be a coincidence.

Their use of their two other clubs, Udinese and Grenada, to sign 14 players on loan prompted a change to the Football League’s rules in the summer of 2013. That was after Watford reached the play-off final in their first season under their new owners.

The Pozzo's (have?) owned clubs in all the major european leauges at the same time.

Reply #386
Gotcha.

I can't see Barrie lasting more than one summer in Greece though. His problem I suppose. Uncle Evangelos' 'friends' will no doubt have a word now and again.

Reply #387
Might well not even play. Will probably be loaned somewhere. 

Reply #388
My first thought was "loan back to us?", but that might look too much like taking the piss out of the rules.

Reply #389
Olympiacos have FFP limitations of their own for champions league qualification and any transfer between the two clubs is going to be looked into by the league, so there must be a cap on what Marinakis can realistically transfer through that route.

Also the Watford situation, while an FFP dodge, was a little more complicated than Udinese lending them players to get them promoted. The three Pozzo clubs pool scouting resources and then place players to whichever club/league they feel they are best suited (which is why Watford can churn managers with little impact on their results - the "manager" has little to no say over the playing staff).