• Out
  • Shake it all about
  • d)

Topic: This Europe Stuff (Read 62775 times) previous topic - next topic

• Vennox
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: This Europe Stuff
Reply #30
Seems perverse to argue against being in EU because of corruption when the alternative is Westminster.

• graham
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #31
IN - Belgian beer costs too much over here as it is.
Your Greggs, we're going to burn down your Greggs, we're going to burn down your Greggs....

Reply #32

IN - Belgian beer costs too much over here as it is.

Where are you buying it? Get it sent over from The House of Belgium or The Belgian Beer Factory.
We're doing fine now, without you Fazzer...

Reply #33

Seems perverse to argue against being in EU because of corruption when the alternative is Westminster.

True, but the House of Commons is at least an elected clusterf*ckery with some kind of mandate from us mongs that put them there in the first place.

• Vennox
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #34
And the House of Lords?

I think the UK also has MEPs as well who are elected by the British public.

Reply #35

And the House of Lords?

I think the UK also has MEPs as well who are elected by the British public.

I don't have a problem with the House of Lords - it's a handy safety net against opportunist policy making and acts of extreme daftness.

As far as MEP's go, aside from voting for or against policy which can be efficiently implemented regardless of the voting result, I don't see what else they offer other than having a nice jolly to talk theoretical shop. It's a bit like the House of Lords running the show, with the House of Commons getting to have some debates if that's their thing but knowing that it's largely just for show. It's probably a cushy number to be a UK MEP, especially as I imagine many people vote for whoever represents the party they usually vote for. I doubt many even know the name of their MEP or what the feck they've been up to in the last year. I suspect many of the UK MEPs have the same kind of problems.

Reply #36

I don't have a problem with the House of Lords - it's a handy safety net against opportunist policy making and acts of extreme daftness.

As far as MEP's go, aside from voting for or against policy which can be efficiently implemented regardless of the voting result, I don't see what else they offer other than having a nice jolly to talk theoretical shop. It's a bit like the House of Lords running the show, with the House of Commons getting to have some debates if that's their thing but knowing that it's largely just for show. It's probably a cushy number to be a UK MEP, especially as I imagine many people vote for whoever represents the party they usually vote for. I doubt many even know the name of their MEP or what the feck they've been up to in the last year. I suspect many of the UK MEPs have the same kind of problems.

Ok, so lets get rid on one bunch of cronies, for another and get rid of all these benifits

Sorry Mike, your argument is still really weak.

Reply #37
It's not an argument, Rich, it's my opinion, as is any partisan link you post. Thanks for giving me some patronising reading, though - it's a bit like leaving a bible in a handy drawer.

I won't be seething regardless of what the country decides. I'll accept it and get on with things. I worry that the referendum will go yes mostly because there won't be enough time and enough voices to balance the argument properly and I think that's what Cameron wants to just about scrape through on his 2010 bullsh!t.

Reply #38

It's not an argument, Rich, it's my opinion, as is any partisan link you post. Thanks for giving me some patronising reading, though - it's a bit like leaving a bible in a handy drawer.

I won't be seething regardless of what the country decides. I'll accept it and get on with things. I worry that the referendum will go yes mostly because there won't be enough time and enough voices to balance the argument properly and I think that's what Cameron wants to just about scrape through on his 2010 bullsh!t.

Sorry.

Your opinion is really weak.

Better?
(And more patronising too, I hope).

I would, genuinely be interested to know though, why you think 'out' is better, beyond the simple "They're lazy and corrupt" line.

Reply #39

"They're lazy and corrupt"

But that's not what I said, though, is it?

Reply #40

But that's not what I said, though, is it?

A lazy generalistion on my part.

Sound similar?

Reply #41

A lazy generalistion on my part.

Sound similar?

Of course and fair enough. I do that a lot.

Reply #42

In other news, I watched sports relief bake off last night.  Shouted 'prick' at the television more times than is healthy, and got severely criticised for my Balls induced tourettes.

It was worth putting up with him to watch Victoria Coren.

• noodlĂ©
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #43
my first dilemma is deciding whether or not to cast the vote to which i am entitled.. being all living in non-eu forrin, n'all that.

but i f*cking hate the eu as an institution... not because of migration or benefits that sort of stuff but because it is a massive supra-national body that has, as far as i am concerned, no democratic mandate for what it has come.

greece is a fine example of what 'it' will do when members don't do as they are told. then let's not forget making the irish re-run referendums until the proles got the right answer.

there's a huge amount to commend the singe market, and much else that's come from greater co-operation with our neighbours. the uk could lose an awful lot if it walks away. BUT.. nobody in the uk, or (as far as i know, anywhere else in the eu) ever voted to be part of a federal structure, and that's what the eu is. that's been the direction of travel for a long time.

dishface's notion of negotiating a different kind of relationship was fine on paper.. but weak in execution. there should be a genuine alternative form of membership for those countries (any) who do not want to cede sovereignty. right now it's like an abusive relationship whereby everybody has to accept unaccountable f*cktards pushing their corporatist centralised regulatory philosophies out across the continent, and politicians rough-riding over enter countries to preserve their precious (and economically illiterate) currency project, in order to be able to trade with belgians without customs getting in the way.

during the scots referendum i found myself rooting for the 'yes' camp.. because all that the 'no' camp offered as persuasion was fear. with the eu thing that seems to be all both sides have got. one lot want me to fear ruin, the other want me to fear syrians. i don't fear either of those things.

i do think that if the uk votes to leave, and everyone is grow up about it, that the uk will do fine. trade between developed nations is heading down a road where it's all free. if the eu decided to hinder the participation of the uk in post-brexit trade then that would be good evidence that it was right to leave.
this is an excellent rectangle

• Russ
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #44
I believe I can still vote in all your sh!t including European referenda and general elections. I haven't bothered though. I don't really give a toss whether you stay in or out, it's not my problem any more. HTH.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but money does buy jet skis. Did you ever see someone on a jet ski who wasn't happy?