Skip to main content

Topic: Telly thread (Read 109234 times) previous topic - next topic

• noodlé
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Telly thread
Reply #2505
We just finished season one of Line Of Duty. I'm assuming that you've all seen it given it's a BBC2 show, but I enjoyed it a lot.

I've watched all (4?) seasons recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. Even though one of the leads having a Nottingham accent kinda dents the credibility of the whole thing. Everyone knows that serious UK cops are jocks or poshos.
this is an excellent rectangle

• Prof. Ingo
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2506
I've watched all (4?) seasons recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. Even though one of the leads having a Nottingham accent kinda dents the credibility of the whole thing. Everyone knows that serious UK cops are jocks or poshos.

It's good stuff.

In other news:

Dum-dum-dum-dum .... dum-dum-dum-dum .... Red Dwarf is back on UKTV Play!
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.

• Seán
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2507
You mean Wollaton born Vicky "can't delivery dramatic exposition dialogue without her head involuntarily wobbling and over doing the whole intense stare thing" McClure?
It is a good show, but very large doses of suspension of disbelief are needed to varying degrees along the way.
Meet the New c*nts.

Same as the Old c*nts.

Reply #2508
Finished Sneaky Pete. It did get better.

Started Berlin Station on netflix. It's spooks with German accents. Totally passable.

Recomend Berlin Station - it's really good, if you like spooks you'll like this. On the netflix

• Guru
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #2509
Anyone else watching The Deuce?

• Dean
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2510
Anyone else watching The Deuce?

Yes, enjoying it a lot so far.  Some very interesting characters and story arcs that I'd imagine will intersect nicely along the way

• charlie
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2511
Watched two of the three Billion Dollar Deals documentary series on BBC2.  Basically about how the big issues in our lives - health, money and work - are now being controlled by big business, not governments or citizens. Interesting stuff, or I thought so anyway.

• JellyHead
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #2512
I accidently caught 15 seconds of the new porridge whilst stopping one recorded program and starting another.  I hope they all live long and painful lives.

• tricky
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #2513
I thought there were some elements that were promising in the pilot. It's just in practice its nowhere near the quality of the original....in the performances and direction. I was most surprised by the writing though. Shambolic and inconsistent. It also suffers from trying to duplicate characters rather than a real modern take on the subject.

It looks wrong, it feels wrong. It's badly out of date before it starts.

At least it should kill the thing stone dead nice and quick and create space for new writers and shows.

• DaveM
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2514
Plan on watching The Deuce in the next couple of weeks.

By the way, W1A latest series started off pretty well (first three episodes) and then jumped the shark so much that I doubt there will ever be another one. It's just become lazy writing.
The inside of a Halex Three-Star table-tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to

Reply #2515
First episode of Mindhunter. Very promising.

• steve
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2516
With Stranger Things 2 coming out soon I actually got round to watching the first series. really enjoyed it. That's how current I am. In fact I am about to face the need to record series 4 of Peaky Blinders while waiting for series 3 to get onto Netflix.

• Simon Again
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Strategy
Reply #2517
First episode of Mindhunter. Very promising.

Up to episode 9. It's ok, well-acted and well-made but it doesn't have enough of a story for me - most of the episodes have no particular drive to stop or catch a killer or to do anything other than have the program survive FBI bureaucracy. Mrs Simon has a higher opinion of it.

I believe the guy we have seen snippets of is being set up for the second series and is Spoiler (click to show/hide) which isn't really going to solve the problem because Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(Spoilers are minor and historical fact.)

• tricky
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #2519
I saw that, and I genuinely don't know what to think. I suppose it brings into focus the power of the entertainment industry, in that one of my first reactions is "oh, that's a shame.  Great series". Yet on the other hand, I know someone who did time, and whose professional career and reputation is completely destroyed, as a result of something that I would consider much less serious than the substance of the allegation against Spacey.

What a f*cked up world. I blame myself (and my generation).