Skip to main content

Topic: Telly thread (Read 106660 times) previous topic - next topic

• Chicago
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Telly thread
Reply #15

I'm half way through reading the second book. Once I've finished that, and re-watched the episodes, I'll start season three tv. If I'm still confused then I'll just give up and plough on I think...haha. Currently sat here watching the second episode.

I think it's pretty simple and I have only read the first book.  I own all the others but am holding off as much as I can because I know of some surprises already and would rather watch the show first. 

In answer to your question Russ about Ygritte, the answer is yes.

Chicago: Lord of Westeros
If running is bad for your knees try hanging out with Russ and Tricky for a night.

• JimShady
Reply #16
I also concur on Ygritte. Surely her and the b@stard will get it on soon.

Ps: you know how there is loads of shagging in the TV show? Unbelievably its actually played down compared to the book.

• Russ
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
I'm not really into ginger burds, but Rose Leslie is amazing:

Money doesn't buy happiness, but money does buy jet skis. Did you ever see someone on a jet ski who wasn't happy?

• tricky
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #18
Looks like..."Oi, Bianca" to me.  You should have seen the ginger nurse who lived a couple of doors from us, at our old house.  Sex on a stick.  Unfortunately a really nice person, though.

• Chicago
Reply #19

My first three girlfriends were Red heads.  FACT!

Chicago: Not sure what happened
If running is bad for your knees try hanging out with Russ and Tricky for a night.

• Russ
Reply #20
My first girlfriend was a redhead as well, and the first girl I ever really fancied in real life (i.e. not Isla St Clair) was a redhead, with whom I'm now friends on Facebook. She's really not that attractive, but I really still would.

I guess I just got to the bottom of why I find Ygritte so attractive, didn't I?
Money doesn't buy happiness, but money does buy jet skis. Did you ever see someone on a jet ski who wasn't happy?

• pantzcat
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #21

Seriously, it is. The number of characters is overwhelming, trying to keep track of who's who and who did what to them and why and what they're after and who wronged them and so on is a bit of a struggle. I'm sure it's easier if you've read the books, but having not done so it's bloody complicated. For example:

*SPOILERS*

- Who are the blokes torturing Theon, and why are they torturing him?
They are actually different to the group that capture Jamie in the book (The Brave Companions, a group of evil sellswords) in the TV series they decided to replace them with Roose Boltons men
- Why did Margaery just suddenly arrive at King's Landing ready to marry Joffrey?
In series 2 when littlefinger arrives at Renlys camp he brokers a deal with the Tyrells to join the Lannisters, also why loras was the one who rode to the rescue of Kings landing at the battle of blackwater
- How did Dog get caught by the Brotherhood?
The Hound was pissed as a fart and they found him passed out under a tree.
- Why did the Black Watch go out beyond the Wall just to get their arses kicked and then come back again?
Mormont took the watch beyond the wall because of rumours the wildings were gathering under the King Beyond the wall and to search for the missing benjen stark (remember him from the first episode). At Crasters he learns Mance rayder is preparing to assult the wall so marches to the Fist of the First men a good defensive position the wildings will have to pass to get to the wall.
- Who the f*ck is Martin Lannister, where did he come from and why was Rob Stark's wife tending to his wounds?
He's a minor Lanister captured by Edmure Tully, not important. Robb's wife is another big change from the one in the book, here she is a healer.

I'm sure there's more, those are just the ones that spring to mind from the episode I just watched.

Also, in other GOT-related news I have a serious boner for Ygritte. I think it's because I grew up in Yorkshire so that accent reminds me of some of the girls who were...... important to my development. I hope she gets her kit off at some point.

Caught up with a marathon 3 episode watch, I read the books ages ago but think I remember enough to answer your questions above.

Also, I saw the actress who plays Ygritte was being interviewed the other day and she has a posh southern accent IRL. I wouldn't have guessed.

• Chicago
Reply #22

Russ, some of your questions don't matter,  but if you wish me to PM you with answers I am quite happy to.  Just a quick warning though, I am not going to deliver them in a sorkinish style so you would have to bear with me. 

Let me know if you want them.

Currently enjoying Top of The Lake in some kind of weird new Zealand fascinated way.  Either the girl from Mad Men is a Kiwi or she's a fcuking good actress.

Chicago: Top of the Donkey charts

• Chicago
Reply #23

Game of Thrones is truly brilliant.  Daenerys Stromborn Targaryen is a bad ass.  The best fun though is watching all the machination of all the main players in Kings Landing.  Tyrion realizing that he may not be the brightest of the bunch and the importance of Sansa Stark and the unseen battle between Varys and Littlefinger.  I think HBO have done a wonderful job of slowing things down and going into more detail.  Something that I was originally opposed to. 

I have 3000 hours on my three Tivo's of stuff to watch but this is the only show at the moment that I do not want to miss.

Chicago: fanboy

• Chicago
Reply #24

Wow, this is why I have a problems with American culture sometimes.  Hannibal is the new Television show by Brian Fuller.  It's very good and immensely dark, but apparently the network showing it in conjunction with the producer have decided to ban episode 5 in a season arc.  The reason is that the episode deals with children killing children.  Apparently it's okay to show the programme everywhere else in the world, only not in America because of it's sensitive nature.  Violence of all kinds is acceptable in Americana except a) with nudity b) with swearing and c) with children.  yet oddly most really violent shows come from the U.S.  The reason why the decision is boneheaded is because of a lot of important storyline is wrapped up in that episode involving DR. Lecter (this is pre-Red Dragon era) and it moves the story forward a lot.  Now NBC have decided to skip that and move forward to episode 6 which involves skinning people and turning them into dead angels.  No children anyway which I guess is okay.  Episode 2 involved mold growing on people in the earth in an apparent graveyard which for network television is extremely gruesome.  I cannot elaborate as I don't want to spoil it, but it's worth watching.

The show is ambitious and interesting but they are fragmenting it because or shootings in schools and the Boston Bombings (which last I look actually happen), but are okay showing vicious serial killers during awful things.

The world is whappy!

Chicago: Trapped in the void

• DaveM
Reply #25
Been watching 'Wilfred' on Netflix the last few nights.

Not sure if anyone has seen it, but it is a surreal comedy about a guy who dates a girl who owns a rather angry dog, only that where everyone sees a dog, he see's a bloke wearing a dog costume.

Bit dark in places, and Australia never looked quite so drab, but it is still very original and funny

Edit: Realise now that this has been re-made for the US, and it is the re-make which has recently been on the Beeb. The version I'm talking about on Netflix is the original Aussie one.
  • Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 04:12:20 PM by DaveM
The inside of a Halex Three-Star table-tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to

• Mangetout
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #26
I'm less of a GoT fan. Really enjoyed season 1 and thoroughly enjoyed the books. Maybe I'm getting old (I am), but I find the gratuitous sex and violence a little off-putting. Most of the sex especially isn't necessary and is often irrelevant - or even (in the case of Oona Chaplin) completely added for the TV show. More of the book seemed implied to me whereas this delights in its grotesque.
This is to take nothing away from the pretty much uniformly brilliant actors and the casting is as good as anything I've seen.
And knowing what happens actually makes me want to watch it less - the torture of Theon especially. The guy behind the torture in the books is about as horrible a character as ever has been created and I think the show will relish that a bit too much.
Not much interesting happens with Daenarys for a while which is a shame.
I could go on. Especially about Shae with Tyrion and Robb's heavily-adapted marriage. But hey, spoilers.

• ned
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #27
Mr Tumble Justin Fletcher has just left the office. Me neither. But some people were excited.

• Lessred
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #28
If it was a couple of years ago, leicsred jr would have fainted with excitement if he saw Mr Tumble - he always seems a really nice bloke, was he?

• ned
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #29
He seemed quite jolly - I thought he was a new messenger.