Skip to main content

Topic: The managerial merry-go-round (Read 97252 times) previous topic - next topic

• DaveM
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Re: The managerial merry-go-round
Reply #30

Mark Hughes to Stoke sound like a disappointingly sensible appointment. A modification of the style of play to something marginally more akin to football, rather than the radical change Martinez (for example) would have represented.

QPR aside, he's an effective manager.

Effective perhaps, but his football is often dreadfully negative and he usually gets his teams playing very 'dirty'.

I wouldn't be over the moon if I were a Stoke fan
The inside of a Halex Three-Star table-tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to

• Simon Again
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Strategy
Reply #31

Effective perhaps, but his football is often dreadfully negative and he usually gets his teams playing very 'dirty'.

I wouldn't be over the moon if I were a Stoke fan

His style of football is a vast improvement on what they've had before and probably can be achieved without signing an entirely new squad of players.

If they'd have brought someone in to attempt to turn them into a mini Barcelona over a summer, they'd definitely be relegated.

• Lessred
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #32
Jackett confirmed at Wolves according to BBC

• Dean
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #33

Jackett confirmed at Wolves according to BBC

Although confirmed as a continental style head coach rather than manager

• DaveM
Reply #34
I suspect that most of the times clubs do this nowadays, it actually means f*ck all.

If I see a model whereby someone other than the 'head coach' chooses the players to buy (with their input) and then they just have to work with whatever they are given, then it will ring true. But it just seems like the job-title du jour at the moment

The inside of a Halex Three-Star table-tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to

Reply #35

I suspect that most of the times clubs do this nowadays,

Try telling Fawaz that. The Billies is manager, CEO, press & PR, club ambassador and youth supremo. Till November, at least.

• dubya
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #36
You give him that long? Brave call.
King of the c*nts.

• Todd
  • [*][*]
Reply #37
Sheffield United's search for a new manager is set to continue..

• Simon Again
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Strategy
Reply #38

• Lessred
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #39
Wonder if the FA have reported the story yet?

• graham
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #40

Surely, Neil Warnock's missus is sick of the sight of him by now. Couldn't he be lured out of retirement?
Your Greggs, we're going to burn down your Greggs, we're going to burn down your Greggs....

• dubya
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #41

More unfinished business.

Congratulations to the Chelski press office for keeping the lid on such a sock-blowing appointment. Whodathunkit?
King of the c*nts.

• DaveM
Reply #42

I'm sure Blades fans are over the moon to read this :

Arnold said he was shocked by the attitude of The Blades after being interviewed during a video conference in Sydney recently. "I walked out of that meeting with the club's board and football director Dave Bassett, and said 'Wow'.
"It just blew me away," the former Socceroo said. "Being one of the bigger lower league clubs, I was expecting a lot more in terms of how they wanted to develop as a club on the field.

"But they just didn't seem interested when I was talking about playing a short passing game and taking the football another level up. It was about smashing the ball long and working on set pieces . . . it was prehistoric stuff. That's not the way to develop a football team."

• ned
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #43
 I would pay good money to watch Sheffield United try to imitate Barcelona.

• Russ
Reply #44
I wouldn't pay good money to watch Sheffield United do anything.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but money does buy jet skis. Did you ever see someone on a jet ski who wasn't happy?