Skip to main content

Topic: Music thread (Read 79554 times) previous topic - next topic

• tricky
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: Music thread
Reply #30

Mention of Billy Bragg on the Thatcher thread reminds me that I ought to listen to the latest album. Anyone got any opinions on it?

It has a bluesssy/country/slidey slow tempo faux american feel.  He still has a terrible singing voice, but is still a very good songwriter.  Nice for a sing-a-long-a-billy.  Having said that, it's musical, and not embarrassing.

I'm a fan, but I'm a fan because of before, not now.  More pipe and slippers than rotting on remand.

Tricky, the big problem for me is that a singer who can't actually sing is like a racing driver who doesn't know how to drive. He might be a very talented mechanic but maybe he should stick to the oily bits.

...then surely you're looking at the wrong musical genre?  If you want perfect singing, you should be looking towards the great trained operatic voices.  If you want someone in a pokey dive to communicate anger, angst, passion, despair, longing, and fire, then you might have to accept the odd flaw in the pipes.

'twas ever thus with singer songwriters surely? ....and even with some of the greatest 'singers' ever to front bands.  Pop music, I would contend, is not about perfect musicality.
  • Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 05:14:43 PM by tricky

• graham
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #31

I am enjoying the new Steve Mason album, while you bicker about Jake Bugg.

So am I.  Actually it's in the car, but I will be enjoying it on the drive up tomorrow. Also liking John Grant
Your Greggs, we're going to burn down your Greggs, we're going to burn down your Greggs....

• jp
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Strategy
Reply #32
Is the album as good throughout as 'GMF'?

• graham
Reply #33
Yes - but consistency isn't the album's strong point. GMF could have come straight off Queen of Denmark. But alongside the 70s pop, there's 80s disco now. I think it's great musically and lyrically and unlike 99% of stuff, it sounds like it actually means something to the guy who wrote it.
  • Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:53:13 PM by graham
Your Greggs, we're going to burn down your Greggs, we're going to burn down your Greggs....

• jp
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Strategy
Reply #34
Thanks. I'm buying.

Did I mention that the Villagers album is really good?

• graham
Reply #35
It would have made a cracking EP, but there's some filler on there too. I see that and raise you...

Parquet Courts. Dumb/smart power pop.
  • Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 04:20:04 PM by graham

• lurker7
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #36

• dj bobbins
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #37
I am liking the Savages album on first listen. It's a bit noisier than I thought it might be (which is good). Vocals are very Siouxsie, but again that's not a bad thing in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neRGpHLj1EQ

• Psychobel
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #38
Loop are reforming for ATP.

Saw them somewhere around 1990 and they ripped the back of my head off. [It's possible there may have been lysergic enhancement.]

Fade Out.

• Russ
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #39
I have a Loop album that I bought a few years ago on a recommendation. I've never really listened to it, I don't think.
I don't like workaholics. Don't f*cking trust them. Why are they working? I don't trust busy c*nts. That's how wars start: busy f*ckers.

• Psychobel
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #40
Try the Peel Session for size.

It's certainly music to get f*cked up with. Also works for car driving. The music, not getting f*cked up.

• Hans
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #41
Went to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' Paris show last week and I don't know if it was the annoying French habit of the crowd clapping along to every flippin' song, or the fact that I've been going to YYY gigs for too long, but I was a bit 'meh'.

Revelation of the night was the support - Bosnian Rainbows - which is the new band of Omar R-L from At the Drive In / Mars Volta. Feral frontwoman Teri Gender-Bender sounds like P J Harvey, dances like Pina Bausch and howls like a Mexican. I'm becoming slightly obsessed.

Also went to see excellent Canadian band Suuns - seeing them again ce soir.

• dubya
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #42
Steve Hackett at Symphony Hall, Birmingham. For those who like early Genesis, which pretty much leaves me in a field of one,  the closest one can get to 1973.

As an aside, Symphony Hall really is a brilliant venue. Sound quality is unlike anywhere else I've ever been.
King of the c*nts.

• Russ
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #43

Steve Hackett at Symphony Hall, Birmingham. For those who like early Genesis, which pretty much leaves me in a field of one,  the closest one can get to 1973.

As an aside, Symphony Hall really is a brilliant venue. Sound quality is unlike anywhere else I've ever been.

I have a feeling Brid was raving about him the other day on Facebook. He'd just been to see some bloke from Genesis who isn't Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel, at any rate.
I don't like workaholics. Don't f*cking trust them. Why are they working? I don't trust busy c*nts. That's how wars start: busy f*ckers.

Reply #44

The diva has sung there a few times. Amazing acoustics, lovely staff, great dressing rooms etc.

But it is in f*cking Birmingham.