Skip to main content

Topic: Music thread (Read 78318 times) previous topic - next topic

• graham
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Music thread
Reply #15

The new Yeah Yeah Yeahs album is rather good

Is it as good as the last one?
Your Greggs, we're going to burn down your Greggs, we're going to burn down your Greggs....

Reply #16

But no. I got a ticket to go and see them in Manchester. Never seen them before and theyre bound to do the greatest hits.

They're awesome live - you'll love it I'm sure.

• garf
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Strategy
Reply #17

Yeah

• Russ
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
Dear England

f*ck you for giving us Jake Bugg. If we take Bieber back will you bury this c*nt for us, please?

Love Canada
Money doesn't buy happiness, but money does buy jet skis. Did you ever see someone on a jet ski who wasn't happy?

• tricky
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #19
Don't be a cloth-eared tw@t.  Things could be a lot worse.  Okay, so the style of his material is a bit like a popular music history lesson for da kidz, but at least it's his own.  He's an immensely talented kid, both songwriter and performer.

...and it's not England that's to blame. He's from Nottnum, more specifically Clifton's finest.

The lads all right by me.  Comparison with Beiber is offensive.

• Simon Again
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Strategy
Reply #20
He's from Nottnum, more specifically Clifton's finest.

The lads all right by me.  Comparison with Beiber is offensive.

Yeah but he supports OIFBCs.

• tricky
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #21

Yeah but he supports OIFBCs.

He's from Clifton, it would be foolish to think of him as a perfect rounded human being.   He might just have re-invented simple guitar based, well written songs, in ways that David Gray could only have dreamed of.  His album is immaculately constructed, with side one being an absolute sensation (the first six tracks are incredibly strong).  He released this first album when he was eighteen, and there are tracks on it that wouldn't embarrass Dylan, Cash, Simon and Garfunkel, middle period Beatles, Cleerance Clearwater Revival, and John Denver.  It's not *new*, but the songwriting (particularly with Iain Archer) is top notch.  It goes a bit ballady at the end, and there is a slight hint of repeated themes (for example Note to self refers back pretty obviously to lightning bolt, but in a ballad form)..but it sustains over a full album, and that's no mean feat for such a young singer songwriter on his first album.  None of his singles have done better than number 26, yet he has a number one album.  That really should tell you a lot about him as an artist.

Of course it's all likely to go titsup, but there's an outside chance that he could wind up being the saviour of modern guitar based music (by going back to what was good).

• JimShady
Reply #22
Surely Tricky is now trolling Russ?

• pantzcat
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #23

Its more stripped back production and less disco than the last one.

• Lloyd Christmas
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Strategy
Reply #24
I liked Jake Bugg's first song, the second was fine but a little like the first, the third was the same as the first two so he's on my list of acts I change the radio station for the second I hear them.  Current top acts on that list include Mumford and Sons, Foo Fighters and Biffy Clyro so I'm having to change channel every other song.

• graham
Reply #25
There should be a special radio station for them so they were all easy to ignore. Stereophonics would be on it too.
Your Greggs, we're going to burn down your Greggs, we're going to burn down your Greggs....

• tricky
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #26
For shure it's easy to get irritated by popular songs that get played to death.  Particularly if they're not quite your cup of tea.  It's smugly satisfying to dismiss the vulgar catchyness of them, and roll your eyes at their shear ubiquitousness.  I don't have a problem with that, as long as you realise that band that you saw at the Boogaloo, while you were on ketamine, were actually a lot more w@nk than you appreciated at the time.

Things not played to death can afford to be fairly mediocre and still seem refreshing on occasional play.  Stick 'em on a radio playlist, and crank 'em out every half an hour, and you'll soon find how bearable they actually are.

• charlie
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #27
Mention of Billy Bragg on the Thatcher thread reminds me that I ought to listen to the latest album. Anyone got any opinions on it?

• jp
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Strategy
Reply #28
I am enjoying the new Steve Mason album, while you bicker about Jake Bugg.

• Russ
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #29
Tricky, the big problem for me is that a singer who can't actually sing is like a racing driver who doesn't know how to drive. He might be a very talented mechanic but maybe he should stick to the oily bits.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but money does buy jet skis. Did you ever see someone on a jet ski who wasn't happy?