Skip to main content

Topic: The Film Thread (Read 90555 times) previous topic - next topic

• Psychobel
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*]
Re: The Film Thread
Reply #30
The Mrs has developed a slight Vietnam film fascination over the past week.
We've watched:
Platoon, Apocalypse, Full Metal Jacket and the Deer Hunter.

What else is out there worth watching?

• Russ
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #31
Hamburger Hill
Good Morning Vietnam
We Were Soldiers
Money doesn't buy happiness, but money does buy jet skis. Did you ever see someone on a jet ski who wasn't happy?

• dubya
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #32
Saigon  Sam and the Sordid Suckers?
King of the c*nts.

• Chicago
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #33

Last night I watched dinner with schmucks because nothing else was on and quite frankly it may have been the silliest film I have seen for a very long time.  It actually amused me even though it really shouldn't of because it made Dumb and dumber look like Hamlet. Still worth a few giggles.

Takers was a surprise.  It was like a mini heat.  It was pretty tense, had some good acting and some nice set up scenes.  Not as satisfying as Heat but I liked it quite a bit.  +SPOILER ALERT+.  It's weird though as it's always the black dudes who die and the whites get to live.  Although Idris Alba sort of did.

Pretty decent and not a bad way to pass the time.

Chicago: passing the time
If running is bad for your knees try hanging out with Russ and Tricky for a night.

• dubya
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #34
I forgot to mention my favourite documentary, Hoe's Cheap Minge City, a gritty tale of where to find the best value ping-pong balls in SE Asia.
King of the c*nts.

• Prof. Ingo
Reply #35
Forest Gump
Born on the Forth of July

Then watch Platoon again 'cause it's the bestest one.
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.

• Lessred
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #36
Jacob's ladder

Reply #37
Buy her the Tour of Duty box set.
We're doing fine now, without you Fazzer...

• Psychobel
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #38
Good call on Jacobs ladder. Havent seen that in a while.
Anything good with a Vietnamese perspective?

trying to persuade her to move on to classic WWII films. I likes a bit of 633 Squadron I does.

• Prof. Ingo
Reply #39
Show her Das Boot, that's 4 hours of my life I am not getting back.
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.

• pantzcat
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #40
A decent Vietnam prisoner of war movie is Rescue Dawn.

Although if you hate Christian Bale (and a lot of people do) then probably best avoided.

• jp
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Strategy
Reply #41
Seven Psychopaths was entertaining. Not as good as In Bruges, but still good. Needed a bit of editing - the last third of the film went on too long, but the final scene was so funny it almost made up for that.

• Russ
Reply #42
Watched Contagion last night. Thought it was an appalling piece of propaganda for big pharma.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but money does buy jet skis. Did you ever see someone on a jet ski who wasn't happy?

• Guru
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #43

Watched Contagion last night. Thought it was an appalling piece of propaganda for big pharma.

In what way? I don't think there was an appearance by, or reference to anyone in big pharma...all the research and heroics were conducted by characters in government institutions, no? CDC, WHO, UCSF etc...

Even if it was, (and it wasn't), Soderbergh certainly made up for it in Side Effects

• Chicago
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #44

films to avoid.  Cowboys and Aliens is just pointless and dreadfully dull.  Project x is empty and really doesn't amount to much.  Nice nork count but everyone and everything else is crass and rubbish.  Not particulary interesting.

hopefully a good film will rear it's head soon.  I taped Ichi the killer the other night, I believe that is meant to be decent.

Chicago: wasting my weekend.

If running is bad for your knees try hanging out with Russ and Tricky for a night.