Skip to main content

Topic: The Film Thread (Read 90557 times) previous topic - next topic

• DaveM
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Re: The Film Thread
Reply #2100
I'll just wait for it to come on telly
The inside of a Halex Three-Star table-tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to

• tricky
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #2101
I wont bother.  I'm not actually 12, so I wont like it.

• jp
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Strategy
Reply #2102
I'll watch it with my daughter. It's fun to see her enjoying these films, although I haven't been particularly blown away by the most recent two.

• Mangetout
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #2103
But it's just a cartoon with some real people in it?

• jp
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Strategy
Reply #2104
Is it?

Reply #2105
I wont bother.  I'm not actually 12, so I wont like it.

I've never seen Star Wars. I ain't starting now.

• DaveM
Reply #2106
Someone finds out they are related to an established character. They go on a journey of discovery of some sort and ultimately end up on the opposing side to their mother/father/brother/sister. Theres a bad guy wearing black who is probably also related somehow. There are lots of CGI-heavy spaceships zooming around and some land based environment (bar, city) which is full of loveable and/or funny CGI characters. There is some side action where a bear dressed a bit like an ISIS soldier saves the day by flying his CGI ship into some big thing and shooting at it. Bad guy in black dies but there are mixed feelings from whoever he is related to. There will be lots of fencing with big f*ck-off torches.

Don't know if thats the plot of the new film or not, but I wouldn't be surprised. I missed all the 'prequel' films, and the one that came out the other year was visually good and well directed, but basically a complete re-tread of the first film so it's hard to get excited about this one.
The inside of a Halex Three-Star table-tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to

• Russ
Reply #2107
Someone finds out they are related to an established character. They go on a journey of discovery of some sort and ultimately end up on the opposing side to their mother/father/brother/sister. Theres a bad guy wearing black who is probably also related somehow. There are lots of CGI-heavy spaceships zooming around and some land based environment (bar, city) which is full of loveable and/or funny CGI characters. There is some side action where a bear dressed a bit like an ISIS soldier saves the day by flying his CGI ship into some big thing and shooting at it. Bad guy in black dies but there are mixed feelings from whoever he is related to. There will be lots of fencing with big f*ck-off torches.

Don't know if thats the plot of the new film or not, but I wouldn't be surprised. I missed all the 'prequel' films, and the one that came out the other year was visually good and well directed, but basically a complete re-tread of the first film so it's hard to get excited about this one.

Like many people, you have missed the point of what Disney is doing with the franchise. It's OK to not be a big Star Wars nerd - many people aren't - but there are huge amounts of people who are, and that was the audience that was upset and alienated by the fairly miserable prequel trilogy. What Disney had to do above all else with The Force Awakens was show that audience that they understood the franchise and that they were a safe pair of hands to take the next step with it, and so they made a movie that demonstrated exactly that. They made a movie that guys our age who grew up with Star Wars could take their kids to and show them all the core themes of the franchise updated for the 21st century. It was the perfect way to restart.

I love Disney's strategy. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, although not a fully fledged nerd. Making one movie a year alternating between family friendly core story and more adult themed back story is a brilliant move, and means the franchise will live for many years to come.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but money does buy jet skis. Did you ever see someone on a jet ski who wasn't happy?

• Mangetout
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #2108
Like many people, you have missed the point of what Disney is doing with the franchise. It's OK to not be a big Star Wars nerd - many people aren't - but there are huge amounts of people who are, and that was the audience that was upset and alienated by the fairly miserable prequel trilogy. What Disney had to do above all else with The Force Awakens was show that audience that they understood the franchise and that they were a safe pair of hands to take the next step with it, and so they made a movie that demonstrated exactly that. They made a movie that guys our age who grew up with Star Wars could take their kids to and show them all the core themes of the franchise updated for the 21st century. It was the perfect way to restart.

I love Disney's strategy. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, although not a fully fledged nerd. Making one movie a year alternating between family friendly core story and more adult themed back story is a brilliant move, and means the franchise will live for many years to come.
This is how I see it too. I didn't terribly like TFA, but I got what it was doing and liked the elements that it was introducing (except Kylo Ren, but we'll see).

Reply #2109
Been off work today with Little Miss BW, who's poorly. Watched Inside Out with her this morning. Enjoyed it massively - Disney Pixar at its best.

• Mangetout
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #2110
Been off work today with Little Miss BW, who's poorly. Watched Inside Out with her this morning. Enjoyed it massively - Disney Pixar at its best.
It's exceptional. I had a few "ohhhh" moments of enlightenment, which probably doesn't reflect well on me.

Reply #2111
It's exceptional. I had a few "ohhhh" moments of enlightenment, which probably doesn't reflect well on me.

Yep, the final scene with the imaginary friend affected me far more than it should have. I realise as I type that how ridiculous that sounds - probably because we sometimes hear my daughter chatting away to nobody in particular while she's playing.

Film is beautifully done, though.

• Russ
Reply #2112
I realise as I type that how ridiculous that sounds - probably because we sometimes hear my daughter chatting away to nobody in particular while she's playing.

There's nothing ridiculous about that, it means that your house is haunted.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but money does buy jet skis. Did you ever see someone on a jet ski who wasn't happy?

Reply #2113
There's nothing ridiculous about that, it means that your house is haunted.

Absolutely. Alternative explanation involves having the four-year-old sectioned.

That'll learn her...

Reply #2114
T2 Trainspotting.

Meh.