Skip to main content

Topic: England are playing, apparently (Read 896 times) previous topic - next topic

• Redeye
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*]
Re: England are playing, apparently
Reply #60
I was 3. Italia '90 is the first tournament I remember. And there's not been a better one since.

• Prof. Ingo
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #61
I was 3. Italia '90 is the first tournament I remember. And there's not been a better one since.

Likewise, although I am with Russ on the Cov game.
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.

Reply #62
Diana Ross took a penalty, missed, and the goal collapsed. It was pretty memorable. Maybe you weren't born then?

That was 1994 wasn't it, but maybe you knew that and I've missed the point?

• Seán
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #63
Espania 82 is the first one I remember with any meaningful recollection.

Agree about Italia 90....  Although 2002 was an interesting one if only for it suddenly becoming socially acceptable to be sh!tlockered by 10AM.
Meet the New c*nts.

Same as the Old c*nts.

• Seán
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #64
Only the greatest game of football I remember watching ever, with the possible exception of the 0-0 draw away at Coventry on that Bank Holiday Monday.
31 years later, having not won it again since, Argentina could conceivably lose out on qualifying.

Where is JayJay when you need him?
Meet the New c*nts.

Same as the Old c*nts.

• Prof. Ingo
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #65
Although 2002 was an interesting one if only for it suddenly becoming socially acceptable to be sh!tlockered by 10AM.

I believe there was some football but I would be unable to confirm this.
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.

• Mangetout
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #66
31 years later, having not won it again since, Argentina could conceivably lose out on qualifying.

Where is JayJay when you need him?
I'm dearly hoping they end up in the play-offs against NZ. They'll win 20-0, of course, but they might send some half-decent players for the away leg.

Reply #67
I'm sick of all the 'I can't imagine a World Cup without Messi' bollocks, so f*ck Argentina. And hurrah, they are 1-0 down.
We're doing fine now, without you Fazzer...

• Mangetout
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #68
I'm sick of all the 'I can't imagine a World Cup without Messi' bollocks, so f*ck Argentina. And hurrah, they are 1-0 down.

Well, that didn't last

Reply #69
Ecuador 1 Messi 2.
Think I might go to bed now.
We're doing fine now, without you Fazzer...

• tricky
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #70
Come on Ecuador. Llama the f*ck out of them, or whatever you do.

• Guru
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #71
Only the greatest game of football I remember watching ever, with the possible exception of the 0-0 draw away at Coventry on that Bank Holiday Monday.
Ah...the 1986 World Cup Finals. Happy Days. I was doing my A levels at the time....first exam the day after the first game and the last exam the morning after the final. Still managed to watch three games a day and fit in trips to the pub between the early and late evening games. Convinced myself I could retake my A Levels 7 Times before the next WC so this was definitely the best approach.

The final was a great game but the truly classic game in that tournament for me was France v Brazil in the QF. Two great sides, some football legends (Zico, Socrates, Platini) and the standard of football was astounding. It was a terrific World Cup finals, always overshadowed in England by the obsession with the QF vs Argentina, but overall it's probably the best finals
I can remember. Shout outs for 1982 and 1998.