Skip to main content

Topic: England are playing, apparently (Read 1157 times) previous topic - next topic

• Russ
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Re: England are playing, apparently
Reply #30
Hang on, why is Daryl Murphy playing international football? Last week I was being told that the reason he didn't have to run around much was because he was old and got tired easily, surely if that's the case he should have retired from international football so he can expend the meagre amounts of energy he has left on behalf of the club that's paying him?
I don't like workaholics. Don't f*cking trust them. Why are they working? I don't trust busy c*nts. That's how wars start: busy f*ckers.

• jp
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Strategy
Reply #31
Russ is clearly bored.

• Russ
Reply #32
Russ is clearly bored.

I'm only half joking. That was actually one of the excuses provided for his performance last week.
I don't like workaholics. Don't f*cking trust them. Why are they working? I don't trust busy c*nts. That's how wars start: busy f*ckers.

• jp
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Strategy
Reply #33
That hobby horse must be getting tired.

• agoodtype
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #34
Hang on, why is Daryl Murphy playing international football?

I think it must be because international manager and Forest legend Martin O'Neill is another person who can't see the obvious deficiencies in his game that only you can.
What do I know anyway.

• Russ
Reply #35
That hobby horse must be getting tired.

Barely even got out of the stable. Buckle in.

• Russ
Reply #36
I think it must be because international manager and Forest legend Martin O'Neill is another person who can't see the obvious deficiencies in his game that only you can.

Or maybe because way over the hill former top flight manager Martin O'Neill is probably only two injuries away from having to name Donny to the bench. He doesn't exactly have a wealth of riches from which to choose.

• tricky
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #37
Or maybe because way over the hill former top flight manager Martin O'Neill is probably only two injuries away from having to name Donny to the bench. He doesn't exactly have a wealth of riches from which to choose.
Yeah, it's probably that.
It's impossible that you might actually not be right about something. Murphy is fine...pretty  much every player is a little bit different, has a different balance of attributes, and can offer some things and not others. It's fine to not fancy a particular type, even when other people do. Pretty much everyone in football, and good judges of the game do have these differences of opinion.
It takes a special sort of a plum to just dismiss someone as rubbish*, and not have any appreciation at all of their attributes.

*There are exceptions.  "Who's the Dadi!" ...so that should perhaps be, when they are not rubbish.....which becomes opinion, to a degree...but still. You are wrong about Murphy.

• Russ
Reply #38
Yeah, it's probably that.
It's impossible that you might actually not be right about something. Murphy is fine...pretty  much every player is a little bit different, has a different balance of attributes, and can offer some things and not others. It's fine to not fancy a particular type, even when other people do. Pretty much everyone in football, and good judges of the game do have these differences of opinion.
It takes a special sort of a plum to just dismiss someone as rubbish*, and not have any appreciation at all of their attributes.

*There are exceptions.  "Who's the Dadi!" ...so that should perhaps be, when they are not rubbish.....which becomes opinion, to a degree...but still. You are wrong about Murphy.

I fully recognise the value of Murphy in the right system. Like, say, one which involved lots of crosses, and lots of hoofed balls requiring a lump to play with his back to goal and knock the ball down for a second striker.

My point this time wasn't really to have a go at Murphy though, it was more poking fun at whoever it was that told me last week it was OK for Murphy to not put in a proper shift because he was old and probably a bit tired from having already had to play a few games of football this season.

And apparently there's more of this international bollocks this weekend, although it's even more meaningless than that stinking pile of sh!t was yesterday, which means still no f*cking Forest. Thank f*ck I've got assorted groups of large armoured North American men variously running or skating into each other with which to entertain me.

• JimShady
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #39
To be fair, from your description of what you think he's good at, it seems you broadly agree with the person who you're attempting to take the piss out of.

• tricky
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #40
I fully recognise the value of Murphy in the right system. Like, say, one which involved lots of crosses, and lots of hoofed balls requiring a lump to play with his back to goal and knock the ball down for a second striker......
Did you watch the Ireland - Moldova game?  I'll give you a scouting report, Ireland didn't play like that. Murphy scored the only two goals of the game, a tidy close finish, and a header.
Your bumblef*ck just doesn't add up.

• Russ
Reply #41
To be fair, from your description of what you think he's good at, it seems you broadly agree with the person who you're attempting to take the piss out of.

No, see, I don't think he's not capable of putting in the work. I think he chose not to. I find it hard to believe that his mandate was "Daryl, make sure you just hang around in the middle of the park watching the young lads do the running until you get a sniff of goal". If it was, we should probably be asking questions of the manager.

• Russ
Reply #42
Did you watch the Ireland - Moldova game?  I'll give you a scouting report, Ireland didn't play like that. Murphy scored the only two goals of the game, a tidy close finish, and a header.
Your bumblef*ck just doesn't add up.

Again, seeing as you appear to be unwilling to actually pay attention to what I write - I'm not a critic of what he does when he has the ball. He's clearly quite a good striker. I'm a critic of what he does when he doesn't have the ball, or more accurately what he doesn't do when he doesn't have the ball. Which is "anything". It's the kind of cynical veteran performance we've seen countless times before in a red shirt, but you've apparently convinced yourselves that his decent run of scoring form is going to go on forever. Because as we know, that's what happens with strikers.

• tricky
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #43
Again, seeing as you appear to be unwilling to actually pay attention to what I write - I'm not a critic of what he does when he has the ball. He's clearly quite a good striker. I'm a critic of what he does when he doesn't have the ball, or more accurately what he doesn't do when he doesn't have the ball. Which is "anything". It's the kind of cynical veteran performance we've seen countless times before in a red shirt, but you've apparently convinced yourselves that his decent run of scoring form is going to go on forever. Because as we know, that's what happens with strikers.
Thank you for telling me what I think (even if I don't).  Thank you for your certainty that he doesn't work (he does). It seems to me that you've constructed an argument in your own head, entirely with parameters designed to prove you are right.
You don't have to run all over the shop to be working hard. Look at his positioning.  Look at how he presents himself to the centre-halves, and how he engages them. That's work. What he doesn't do is run around like a tw@t, wearing himself out pointlessly, so that he is unable to do the above, or run the touch out of himself.

If your contention is that he doesn't run around like a marlon, and you don't like that.  I can understand it. He's played for a lot of decent teams, under decent managers, and has a decent record - which if you watch him isn't a surprise.  He's a very decent player.

Believe something else if you really want. 

• Russ
Reply #44
Thank you for telling me what I think (even if I don't).  Thank you for your certainty that he doesn't work (he does). It seems to me that you've constructed an argument in your own head, entirely with parameters designed to prove you are right.
You don't have to run all over the shop to be working hard. Look at his positioning.  Look at how he presents himself to the centre-halves, and how he engages them. That's work. What he doesn't do is run around like a tw@t, wearing himself out pointlessly, so that he is unable to do the above, or run the touch out of himself.

If your contention is that he doesn't run around like a marlon, and you don't like that.  I can understand it. He's played for a lot of decent teams, under decent managers, and has a decent record - which if you watch him isn't a surprise.  He's a very decent player.

Believe something else if you really want.

There's definitely a large part of the fact that he's not my type of player. He's not a player who's ever going to excite me, I wouldn't pay to watch him and he's never going to be the kind of player who takes over a game simply because he doesn't do enough. He's clearly a good player, I just don't see how such a paucity of movement fits as a logical part of the game we're trying to play. And part of it is that I really like Brereton and it irritates me intensely watching Murphy playing a role I think Brereton could play better.