Skip to main content

Topic: GasMan's Guide To Watching Forest (Read 812 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: GasMan's Guide To Watching Forest
Reply #30
That's not how VPNs work. Well, it can be but it would be highly unusual for a hotel or similar to be operating a VPN at the router level. Get yourself an account  with privateinternetaccess.com, download the client to your device, put your credentials in, choose your country proxy and off you go. For example, right now I am connecting through their US East POP, but if I wanted to watch BBC iPlayer I would simply change it to one of the UK locations (London and Southampton are the currently offered options) and away I go.

Just tried privateinternetaccess.com from Munich to access iplayer and sky go through the UK. Both websites detected that I was abroad. Doesn't work. -72 triceratops.

• JimShady
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #31
Try the Hola Chrome extension.

Reply #32
Try the Hola Chrome extension.

Yup - it works for BBC but not Sky Go. Also isn't Hola bad for putting trackers on your computer?

• dunc
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #33
Yup - it works for BBC but not Sky Go. Also isn't Hola bad for putting trackers on your computer?

The boss here likes to use Cyber Ghost - it's an app on ios and android. I think you get a free 7 day trial with it.
I wouldn't recommend being a student to anyone.....
.......except to students

• Russ
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #34
Just tried privateinternetaccess.com from Munich to access iplayer and sky go through the UK. Both websites detected that I was abroad. Doesn't work. -72 triceratops.

They didn't detect that you were abroad,at least not if you set it up properly. They've probably flagged the PIA IP address that you were presenting as a known proxy - refresh the connection and try again. I just connected to UK London and it gave me iPlayer access perfectly fine.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but money does buy jet skis. Did you ever see someone on a jet ski who wasn't happy?

Reply #35
They didn't detect that you were abroad,at least not if you set it up properly. They've probably flagged the PIA IP address that you were presenting as a known proxy - refresh the connection and try again. I just connected to UK London and it gave me iPlayer access perfectly fine.

Did you actually stream or download a programme though? It takes me to the iplayer website and it's only when I click on to stream something I get the error message that it's detecting I'm abroad.
It's set up properly as when I connect through it, I get the pop up notification that it's working. Just tried it again now on BBC iplayer. Again, goes to the webpage but won't play anything.

• Russ
Reply #36
Did you actually stream or download a programme though? It takes me to the iplayer website and it's only when I click on to stream something I get the error message that it's detecting I'm abroad.
It's set up properly as when I connect through it, I get the pop up notification that it's working. Just tried it again now on BBC iplayer. Again, goes to the webpage but won't play anything.

Yeah, it's hit and miss. The big VPN providers get their IP addresses flagged by the BBC, they change their addresses, they get flagged, the circle continues. You just have to keep reconnecting until it works.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but money does buy jet skis. Did you ever see someone on a jet ski who wasn't happy?

• Russ
Reply #37
Week commencing October 16th:

Forest v Burton (Saturday 15:00 GMT / 010:00 EST / 08:00 CST / 17:00 EAT for Chicago): game will be broadcast on iFollow in all regions outside of the UK.