Skip to main content

Topic: If you know your history... (Read 778 times) previous topic - next topic

• tricky
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
If you know your history...
...could you help out?

When did talkback start? Which season? Also do you know what season the official site forum started? Then finished?

Asking for a friend....

Re: If you know your history...
Reply #1
I remember dicovering Talkback when I lived in a flat in Partick, Glasgow which was Feb 1998 until Dec 1999. Thats as close as I can get.

• JimShady
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Similar time. I was at uni. 1999 ish.

• garf
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Strategy
Reply #3
I came across Talkback early on in my time working in Canary Wharf which spanned 97 - 01 so it was definitely going in 98 and it seemed quite well established even then so I'd be surprised if it wasn't 97 or even earlier.

Edit : I did 2 contracts in CW and it was definitely early in the first so well established in 97.

• tricky
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #4
I had late '96 or early '97...but not sure. An pretty sure we're past twenty years though. Does anyone remember days or seasons for the official forum? I would guess start around 2000..but no real memory except i know we had existed for a bit.

• Loafé
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Writing your memoirs Tricky?

• tricky
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #6
Writing your memoirs Tricky?
I am not. I have a memory of how things happened back then...it would be handy to nail down the actual chronology rather than my imperfect recollection.

• DaveM
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
I was a regular on the Forest mailing list discussion thingy, then somehow found Talkback.

It was f*cking ages ago, and presumably Talkback had been going for a (little) bit by then
The inside of a Halex Three-Star table-tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to

• tricky
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #8
I was on the mailing list, and am pretty sure i flagged talkbacks existence on there before I became frustrated with the mailing list.

• Prof. Ingo
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
If its forum willy waving your after LTLF was founded and set up in my bedroom c. 2000.
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.

• Redeye
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
I didn't find it until Alternative Forest shut down, and that was no later than 2006.

I miss dyfi from AF.

• Chicago
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11

It was during the earlier darker times of my marriage and I was listening or watching text on the eye website and you (tricky) and our Irish friend who never posts on here were on there.  He started Talkback and I immediately liked it because I was lonely and you were all fledgling cnuts back then.  I was living in Rochester New York at the time so I am guessing it was 1997. 

20 fcuking years ago?  Wow!  How I have grown as a person.  Thanks Talkback (or Trentend) and why the hell cannot I remember our Irish friend who started it.  I remember GG and that was his mate.  I even met the cnut when we were visiting for the playoffs.  It's on the tip of my tongue David!   Was it POD?  It was POD!  Wow I am not done yet.  POD you b@stard.  Thanks! 

Chicago" Almost Senile. 
If running is bad for your knees try hanging out with Russ and Tricky for a night.

• tricky
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #12
I think you mean "Sid" of "City Ground Today".

• jp
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Strategy
Reply #13
I was a regular on the OF before I migrated here. I found the OF when I was in my last year as an undergraduate - so 1998-99. It was well established by then. I don't know how ling before that Geoff started it - maybe 18 months?

• charlie
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
I remember the Forest mailing list and also something online that was run by a possibly Scandinavian-sounding bloke. I want to call him Bjorn - that's not right but it is close. I think I found Talkback at about that time. No idea when it was, sorry. Memory shot to pieces.