Skip to main content

Topic: What's amusing me today (Read 228380 times) previous topic - next topic

• charlie
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Re: What's amusing me today
Reply #4995
The ability to do that effectively is lessening all the time with every round of job cuts. That's not a good thing, regardless of whether you support, or read, your local rag.

It's a disaster for local politics and will ultimately give free rein to those who don't wish to be accountable. My first job was as a cub reporter on the Northampton Chronicle & Echo. We produced three editions a day through a full time staff of around 20 journalists plus photographers and subs. Our team included an ex-Fleet St hack who was industrial correspondent and a good younger writer whose sole job was to report on council business. Today, I think it's a weekly paper with a pretty poor online presence and little if any journalistic integrity. The losers in all this are ordinary local people who no longer have a champion or a voice.

Reply #4996
Who ever is running the Donny account at the moment. Enjoyed the Italian restaurant story.

• donnyred
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #4997
Who ever is running the Donny account at the moment. Enjoyed the Italian restaurant story.
It's me Rich, remember we met for a drink at Oldham.

Reply #4998
I do remember. New Year's Day and Andy was there too. 0 -0. But I know I've mentioned that on here before. 

• jp
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Strategy
Reply #4999

I have to say, it's gone in a direction I wasn't expecting. But I'm enjoying it too.

• charlie
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5000
The third pic down in this story about the storm made me laugh:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-42256808

• pantzcat
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5001
Do they still print stories about boys football?
I used to love it if I got a mention in the local rag.

• Loafé
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5002
Do they still print stories about boys football?
I used to love it if I got a mention in the local rag.

"Local man caught exposing himself at boys football match"

• charlie
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5003
The third pic down in this story about the storm made me laugh:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-42256808

Well, it's the fourth or fifth one now because they keep adding photos. Anyway, it's the one with the trampoline.

• charlie
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5004
Local BBC networks will feel the loss. They still have a tendency to lift stuff straight out of the local rag, often without credit.

The better local newspapers (and there are still some very good ones) do a decent job of holding local decision-makers to account. The ability to do that effectively is lessening all the time with every round of job cuts. That's not a good thing, regardless of whether you support, or read, your local rag.

Interestingly, and presumably for the reasons you mention, the BBC has announced that they are funding reporters for the local press.

https://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/news/pioneering-bbc-project-secures-two-democracy-reporters-for-northants-telegraph-and-sister-titles-in-county-1-8280296

Reply #5005
United supporters' sense of entitlement. The may just have been beaten yesterday because, well, City are a better side.

NSFW....

• Jüânfrân
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5006
Interestingly, and presumably for the reasons you mention, the BBC has announced that they are funding reporters for the local press.
https://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/news/pioneering-bbc-project-secures-two-democracy-reporters-for-northants-telegraph-and-sister-titles-in-county-1-8280296

There's a fair bit of a back story to it, to do with the BBC and competition. Please don't think our darling BBC is doing this out of the goodness of its heart.